How to teach your dog to spin
- Begin with your dog in the sit position, and stand facing your dog.
- With a treat between your fingers, move your hand in a wide circle from in front of your dog’s nose, around their head and back to the starting position.
- The dog’s head will follow the treat, and their body will follow their head.
- When the dog completes the circle, praise and reward your dog.
- Practice the ‘spin’ in both directions.
- As your dog learns to follow the treat (lure), introduce the command “Spin”
- You can then gradually reduce the hand signal and fade out the lure so that the dog doesn’t see the reward until after he has completed the command.