Roll over command – part 1
Roll over command – part 2
How to teach your dog to roll
- In the early stages, practice this trick in a quiet, distraction free area with plenty of room and on a non slippery surface with a bit of grip (carpet or grass)
- Begin with your puppy in the drop position with you kneeling in front of them.
- With a treat in between your fingers, slowly move your hand from beside puppy’s face, back towards their shoulder and across their back in an arc, with the command “roll”.
- The puppy’s nose will follow the treat and their body will naturally follow.
- Once the roll is completed and your puppy is back in the drop position, praise and reward your puppy.
- Remember to practice rolling both ways. Dogs have muscle memory so if you only teach it in one direction, they will probably only do it in one direction.
- With lots of practice and rewards, your puppy will learn to roll over without being lured by a treat. You may wish to continue using a hand signal, which you can fade back from the original arc motion.
- Gradually introduce the command on different surfaces and in situations with minor distractions, and remember to praise and reward for a job well done.