Come and Sit command
Introducing and teaching your puppy to come and sit (the recall)
- Work in a calm, quiet environment without distractions (in the initial stages)
- Find a motivator that your dog responds to, such as a food reward, a squeaky toy, praise, or clicker (I am using liver treats here.)
- Have the dog begin in a sitting position, and stand facing your dog.
- In a smooth movement, show your dog the reward and take a few steps backwards, using your open palm to guide the dog to follow you, using the command “come.”
- As you stop walking, lift your hand up and the dog’s head will follow, putting the dog into a natural sit.
- Reward your dog!