Teaching your puppy to lie down (drop)
- Work in a calm, quiet environment without distractions (in the initial stages)
- Find a motivator that your dog responds to, such as a food reward, a squeaky toy, praise, or clicker (I am using liver treats here.)
- Have the dog begin in a sitting position, and stand or kneel side on to your dog.
- Hold the reward between your fingers and show your flat palm to the dog.
- Slowly move your hand from in front of the dog’s nose straight down to the floor near their front toes.
- Reward your dog when his chest hits the floor!
If the dog doesn’t respond, ensure that you are in a distraction-free environment and using a reward which the dog really wants.